Is anyone looking for a project?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Is anyone looking for a project?

Postby B3N » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:08 pm

I'm not sure if I should be posting this in classifieds or not but I have been looking for the perfect tank for my soon to be BTS and am not having a lot of luck. The petco tanks weren't right they were too high and not deep enough. Is anyone interested in building an enclosure or selling me an old one? Ive tried craigslist and the closest thing Ive found that would be good is 7 hours away in Buffalo NY. I have aim or you can PM me.

-B
User avatar
mom22wins
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1216
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:12 pm
Country:
Location: Pasadena, MD
Contact:

Postby mom22wins » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:17 pm

How much are you looking to spend? I know of several online stores that build cages. I bought one recently from one. Here's the link. http://cgi.ebay.com/Wood-REPTILE-CAGES- ... otohosting
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:29 am

Where are you from? I might be able to hook you up.
JWSR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm
Country:
Location: Henderson, Kentucky

Postby JWSR » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:59 am

What's wrong with the simple, basic sliding glass front from here? Go down the list to this.........."65 Gal. Granite Acrylic." It's only $150, and shipping is 20 something. The top (18" x 48") for it, at the second link, is only $18.99. The enclosure is light weight, easy to clean, and perfect size. And, it doesn't hold bacteria like the jointed areas of wood.

Enclosure: http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=6

Top: http://www.reptilesource.com/?covers%7C ... ough%20Top
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:10 am

Hey before you go and buy from glasscages, member DianaDixie has those same 65gal cages listed on the classifieds for cheaper, PLUS you get all the good stuff that comes in the cages like fake plants, a huge water dish, logs, basking rock, lights, background. It's an awesome deal for only $125 a cage with everything in it. They are located in Virginia. I would look up the classified ad and give them a buzz. I got two from them and I'm really thankful!
JWSR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm
Country:
Location: Henderson, Kentucky

Postby JWSR » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:30 am

Good thinking Russ! I forgot all about her cages she's selling. :doh:
lmb02
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:08 pm
Country:
Location: Austin, Texas

Postby lmb02 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:54 am

Have you tried posting a wanted ad on craigslist? That's what I did and I got a 36x17 inch tank plus two others with stands for free. There are a lot of people that have them sitting in their garages or basements, they just don't know that people want them!
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it.

Russman- I live in Boston, MA and I would love to get one from DixieDiana but it is a 12 hour drive. If you can hook me please let me know. Thank you!

JWSR- My plan was to go get a 40gallon breeder from a Petco 45 minutes away and then pick up one from glass cages at a show because I thought shipping would be ridiculous. If it is only 20 I can live with that. Thanks for help!

LMB- I haven't tried posting on craigslist but I checked every day and in all neighboring states. The closest I found was 7 hours away in buffalo :lol:

Thanks for the help everyone I really appreciate it!
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:32 pm

What I meant by hooking you up was that I would build you one, but I live 2 hours further south than Buffalo, so that might be tough too.
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:34 pm

russman wrote:What I meant by hooking you up was that I would build you one, but I live 2 hours further south than Buffalo, so that might be tough too.


Ahh well I appreciate the offer anyway!!
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:27 pm

Ok, so I found a starter tank it is 36x18x16. Now I need to find a top for it, I found one on the site posted in this thread but I'm not sure it will fit, the description says,

ESU Reptile Tough-Top Screen Cover (medium mesh) 18" x 36" - 50 GAL ***.

Does anyone know if that is the right size for the tank? If not does anyone know a good place to get one?

-B
JWSR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm
Country:
Location: Henderson, Kentucky

Postby JWSR » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:55 pm

The gallons stated doesn't matter. If your tank is 18"deep x 36" long it will fit. A regular size tank with those dimensions would also be taller, holding about 50 gal. Whereas a breeder is shorter with a lot of surface area. The top is right for your tank.
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:58 pm

JWSR wrote:The gallons stated doesn't matter. If your tank is 18"deep x 36" long it will fit. A regular size tank with those dimensions would also be taller, holding about 50 gal. Whereas a breeder is shorter with a lot of surface area. The top is right for your tank.


Awesome JWSR thank you for all the help. :D

-B
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:53 pm

Looks like I've already upgraded the cage, got a 48x24x20. Now all I need is a bluey!!! :lol: Ill probably keep the 40 as a backup unless someone needs one.

-B
User avatar
russman
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
Country:
Location: Russell, PA USA

Postby russman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:24 pm

Sweet! Sounds like you are well on your way, good luck!
User avatar
kvega92
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 166
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:10 am
Country:
Location: Frederick, Maryland

Postby kvega92 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:28 pm

For further reference if you post what you want on craigs list anyone who has it will email you. I got a great fish tank like that. It is too bad you do not live by Dixie Diana I got two cages from her with the works. Before my skink use to hide all day since the new setup he is a changed skink LOL
Love till the ends of your fingertips.
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:36 pm

Yeah its too bad those tanks are a GREAT deal! I did ok though, I'm paying 35 dollars for a 100 gallon 48x24x20 tank. Now I just need to get the stuff for the cage tomorrow, lights, substrate, hiding logs all that good stuff and I should be good to go in a few days.

-B

Thanks to everyone who has helped, you guys are the best!
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:40 pm

Does anyone know where to get a screen top 48x24, the only one I found was on glasscages.

-B
JWSR
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 198
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:43 pm
Country:
Location: Henderson, Kentucky

Postby JWSR » Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:11 am

That's a great deal man! I searched high and low for ya, for a top that size. You're right, only glasscages.com has them, and $50 is a little ridiculous. Your best bet would be to make your own with a roll of 1/4" galvenized hardware cloth and a wooden frame for an exact fit over your aquarium. :noknow:
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:15 pm

Sorry whats galvanized hardware cloth?

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 174 guests