Getting fat
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Getting fat
Ok my Shingleback Spike has got really fat lately. Is this normal for this time of year or something?
I even thought oh maybe he's pregnant!
I have had people tell me "he" looks like a female and he has been housed with a male for a while so could be maybe?
I could be worrying about nothing but he hasn't been eating as much as he used to either...maybe thats got something to do with it too?
Kris
I even thought oh maybe he's pregnant!
I have had people tell me "he" looks like a female and he has been housed with a male for a while so could be maybe?
I could be worrying about nothing but he hasn't been eating as much as he used to either...maybe thats got something to do with it too?
Kris
- Funda
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1551
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia: Victoria/Melbourne
- Contact:
Hmmm, i have no idea as to what it might be, Sorry.
Im sure another member could help you out
But maybe if you can post a couple of pictures just to see if Spike is really pregnant or if he's just getting chubby.
f.C
Im sure another member could help you out
But maybe if you can post a couple of pictures just to see if Spike is really pregnant or if he's just getting chubby.
f.C*1 Dog, mitsy
*1 Cockatiel, Baylee
*2 Kittens, Lucky and Cuddles
*2 Eastern BTS, Saphia and Eragon.
*f.C Photography
*I love Cengiz, my love muffin!
*1 Cockatiel, Baylee
*2 Kittens, Lucky and Cuddles
*2 Eastern BTS, Saphia and Eragon.
*f.C Photography
*I love Cengiz, my love muffin!
- Leigh
- Leigh of the Law

- Posts: 6695
- Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Bristol, England
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
I don't know what his condition was like as i only got them recently. I can't see no injuries on him but their scales are very thick so i dunno if they'd be as easy to see anyway. He seems to be hiding a lot and doesn't eat as much either...i'll keep an eye on him. Maybe its due to the weather warming up or something.
Kristy
Kristy
- Lisa
- Blue Mountains Beauty

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia
Kristy, have they shed yet since you've had them?
I can't tell you if your he/she is up the duff, but I can tell you that when Santos goes into a shed cycle it's long and drawn out, he gets quite solid and stiff, and just before he does eventually shed he looks like he's about to die!
Seriously, the first couple of times I was practically out the door to the vets thinking something was wrong but I know a few things now.
1) You don't really notice them going into a cycle. Like how the bluetongues go all pale and milky and fade, you don't get that on the shingles. What you do notice though, is the scales get even more of a wrinkly look to them, and like a gap between them. It looks kinda webby.
2) The shed cycles takes aagggeesssss ! I reckon all up it takes 4-6 weeks.
3) It starts with him feeling just that bit more solid. Then he goes into hiding. He's not really interested in food unless it's alive, and is much happier just chilling in his box no matter how hot it is. Then, he looks like he's dying! His eyes look kinda puffy and wrinkly as the oils build up, he gets this dusty look, he basically looks like he's going to burst.
But! That's probably still at least a week or two away! And because they shed in one piece, it's really, really oily!
If yours have shed since you've had them, then maybe you have noticed similar things. If not, hopefully some of this may give you an idea of what to expect.
Like I say, I don't know if yours is gravid (although that would have been a very early mating, and shingles aren't the easiest to breed) but it could be heading into a shed cycle. It just seems like such a drama for them! And for their easily stressed owner! Bluetongues have it so much easier!
I can't tell you if your he/she is up the duff, but I can tell you that when Santos goes into a shed cycle it's long and drawn out, he gets quite solid and stiff, and just before he does eventually shed he looks like he's about to die!
Seriously, the first couple of times I was practically out the door to the vets thinking something was wrong but I know a few things now.
1) You don't really notice them going into a cycle. Like how the bluetongues go all pale and milky and fade, you don't get that on the shingles. What you do notice though, is the scales get even more of a wrinkly look to them, and like a gap between them. It looks kinda webby.
2) The shed cycles takes aagggeesssss ! I reckon all up it takes 4-6 weeks.
3) It starts with him feeling just that bit more solid. Then he goes into hiding. He's not really interested in food unless it's alive, and is much happier just chilling in his box no matter how hot it is. Then, he looks like he's dying! His eyes look kinda puffy and wrinkly as the oils build up, he gets this dusty look, he basically looks like he's going to burst.
But! That's probably still at least a week or two away! And because they shed in one piece, it's really, really oily!
If yours have shed since you've had them, then maybe you have noticed similar things. If not, hopefully some of this may give you an idea of what to expect.
Like I say, I don't know if yours is gravid (although that would have been a very early mating, and shingles aren't the easiest to breed) but it could be heading into a shed cycle. It just seems like such a drama for them! And for their easily stressed owner! Bluetongues have it so much easier!
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
- kman1247
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 88
- Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:41 pm
- Country:
- Location: Columbus,Ohio
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Ahh Lisa!
I think that might be it, they haven't shed since i've had them but what you described sounds just like what Spike is going through at the moment.
Im less worried now, thank you very much
I will still keep a close eye on him, he won't eat much but will still snap up a snail if offered so im glad he's atleast eating something.
Thanks again for your help, poor little buggers really do have such a hard time shedding.
Kris
I think that might be it, they haven't shed since i've had them but what you described sounds just like what Spike is going through at the moment.
Im less worried now, thank you very much
I will still keep a close eye on him, he won't eat much but will still snap up a snail if offered so im glad he's atleast eating something.
Thanks again for your help, poor little buggers really do have such a hard time shedding.
Kris
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
- Leigh
- Leigh of the Law

- Posts: 6695
- Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Bristol, England
- Tattoo
- BT Beldam

- Posts: 6669
- Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 am
- Country:
- Location: Vermont, USA
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
That would be very neat to see.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- Lisa
- Blue Mountains Beauty

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia
kris21 wrote:Ahh Lisa!
I think that might be it, they haven't shed since i've had them but what you described sounds just like what Spike is going through at the moment.
Im less worried now, thank you very much
I will still keep a close eye on him, he won't eat much but will still snap up a snail if offered so im glad he's atleast eating something.
Thanks again for your help, poor little buggers really do have such a hard time shedding.
Kris
Yeah keep an eye on him, but seriously, the first couple of times I really thought something was wrong with Santos. Outside his shed cycle he's a real nutter, totally feral. And then into the cycle we go and it's like he's turned into a little old man. It's good in a way, sometimes you need a few week's break from him! He is waaaay too active outside his shed cycle!
Keep offering water though. Santos still likes a drinky-poo even during the cycle. Incidentally, do you have a water bowl in with yours, or do you offer them a drink once a week or every few days? I don't have a water bowl in his tank because of the whole humidity thing + shingles = bad ju-ju, but he sure does like a drink (takes after his Mum
Leigh wrote:Kris or Lisa, can either of you take day to day(or two a week) photos of the process?I'd be well chuffed to see it happen in a stage by stage photographic account.It could be good for other shingle owners as well.
Leigh mate, you'll be waiting a while for some from me because I'm half a world away at the moment and not back for another week & a half. Plus Santos was heading into a cycle before we left so he should be close to finishing when we get back.
I do take millions of pics but, so I could probably cobble some together on my return. It is interesting but, their cycle. With blueys you can tell straight away that they're going into burst mode, but since the shingles don't really have any colour variations you kinda go off how the individual scales go more wrinkly and also the webbing between them stretches more and more.
Oh and Kris, Santos hates being held or touched late into the cycle. Only time I've ever been crapped on was during his first cycle with me.
Little turd. Literally
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Ok well Leigh, if he is shedding i'll be sure to take some pics.
Lisa, no i don't keep a water bowl in there, just offer it every now and then but i will admit i've forgotten a few times!
i think coz its not in there everyday so im not used to seeing the water bowl.
He just had a big drink tho, im just gonna offer him some food and see if he takes it. Will be interesting to see my first shingle shed tho
Thanks for your help!
Kristy
Lisa, no i don't keep a water bowl in there, just offer it every now and then but i will admit i've forgotten a few times!
i think coz its not in there everyday so im not used to seeing the water bowl.
He just had a big drink tho, im just gonna offer him some food and see if he takes it. Will be interesting to see my first shingle shed tho
Thanks for your help!
Kristy
- Lisa
- Blue Mountains Beauty

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia
In lieu of water, I tend to give more fruits (such as blueberries) to Santos than I do Ralphie. Or any juicy ones, really. Melons and the like, not hard ones like bananas.
That way he's getting his fluids because sometimes I too forget to offer him water! I need to get him a decent bowl, at the moment it's a vegemite jar lid
That way he's getting his fluids because sometimes I too forget to offer him water! I need to get him a decent bowl, at the moment it's a vegemite jar lid
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
- Tattoo
- BT Beldam

- Posts: 6669
- Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:18 am
- Country:
- Location: Vermont, USA
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Ahhh bugger!!!!!!
I missed the shed!
I was gonna take photos but got home today and he was just getting the last bit off his back leg. I checked him last night to see if i could see any scales lifted or whatever but i didn't notice anything....guess i was wrong but anyways i took a few pics. Its pretty cool how it goes off and 2 layers actually came off his head. Dunno if thats the norm but yeah....here are the pics!
Kris

I missed the shed!
I was gonna take photos but got home today and he was just getting the last bit off his back leg. I checked him last night to see if i could see any scales lifted or whatever but i didn't notice anything....guess i was wrong but anyways i took a few pics. Its pretty cool how it goes off and 2 layers actually came off his head. Dunno if thats the norm but yeah....here are the pics!
Kris

- Lisa
- Blue Mountains Beauty

- Posts: 1072
- Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:04 pm
- Country:
- Location: Blue Mtns, NSW, Australia
haha!
Tell me, how shiny does he look and feel now?!! It's a neeeewww lizard !!!
Because they generally shed in one piece, I've kept Santosas because they give me an indication of how much he's grown. I've got a picture back home somewhere, I'll send it to you when I'm back. FYI, I got Santos at approx 6 months old last July and he has only shed 4 times in that period.
Well, at least you know what to expect next time he's looking poorly
Tell me, how shiny does he look and feel now?!! It's a neeeewww lizard !!!
Because they generally shed in one piece, I've kept Santosas because they give me an indication of how much he's grown. I've got a picture back home somewhere, I'll send it to you when I'm back. FYI, I got Santos at approx 6 months old last July and he has only shed 4 times in that period.
Well, at least you know what to expect next time he's looking poorly
1 Eastern, JUBBY, born January 2004
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
1 Blotchie, RALPHIE, born March 2006
1 Nutjob, SANTOS L HALPER (SANTOS), born February 2006
1 Shingle SHE'S THE FASTEST, born Feb 2008
- kris21
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 384
- Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 am
- Country:
- Location: Australia
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: vana and 257 guests
