new batch of food (pic heavy)

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

new batch of food (pic heavy)

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:50 pm

I try to mix up the diet of my bluey as much as I can. I'm about half way thru my last batch so I decided to make a new batch to mix it up a bit...

First I boiled some lean ground turkey.
n1.jpg

Next I boiled some lean ground beef.
n2.jpg

Then I put the veggies in, shredded carrots, kale, and baby bok choi. I use a slap chop to mix them up into the meat.
n3.jpg

n4.jpg

n5.jpg

I made one batch of turkey and veggies, one batch of beef and veggies, and one batch of both turkey and beef and veggies (this one is chopped less fine)
n6.jpg

Finally, I put some Ca + D3 and let Apollo have at it!
n7.jpg

n8.jpg

n9.jpg

n10.jpg

Just an FYI, the last batch of food I made was lean ground chicken and chicken livers, bell peppers, and endives. I feed Apollo once per week, but I try to give him a small snack of fruit between meals. He isn't a huge fan of fruit though so he usually licks it a few times and then forgets about it-- so sometimes I throw in a few canned snails. Recently, I've been giving Apollo f/t fuzzies as his snack but I know these are supposed to be rare treats so I won't be doing that again for a while.

Hope you enjoyed the pics. I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas for his next batch of food!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Kurt on Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 y.o. 0.1 Merauke - Apollo - House of Reptiles - 2011
5 y.o. 0.1 Northern - Rocko - Captive Bred Excellence - 2012
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Re: new batch of food (pic heavy)

Postby tylociraptor » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:58 pm

I love this idea! How long does it keep? :)
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:26 pm

It would only stay fresh for about a week or 2, so I have to freeze it. Rumor has it blue tongues eat carrion in the wild, so technically I think I could get at least a month out of it in the fridge and it'd be just fine, but I freeze it just in case. :noknow:

I always make it on feeding day though, so he gets a fresh meal every batch I make.

It's been hard to keep a good variety since I only have 1 small bluey mouth to feed. By the time I get all the ingredients and make it, I have enough for 2 or 3 months worth of food. Hopefully I'll be adding another skink soon, which all mean I go through the food twice as fast and will be able to use new ingredients more often. :ohyes:

Oh! BTW, I've tried doing wellness cat food and mixing some veggies in and he was not interested. I plan on trying dog food eventually, just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Richard.C
Kimberley Klan
Kimberley Klan

Postby Richard.C » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:13 pm

looks food,looks like a happy customer as well
tylociraptor
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower

Postby tylociraptor » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:55 pm

That's awesome! When I get mine, I'll try this sort of thing out! :) I love his om nom nom face :D
El Lobo
The Blotched Brigade
The Blotched Brigade

Postby El Lobo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:59 pm

A method I use is to freeze the meat in meal size portions and then add the vegetable and any fruit fresh at the time of serving. Freezing green leafy vegetables loses the thiamine on defrosting and tends to make the greens soft, slimy and generally unappetising.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who do not.
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:34 pm

El Lobo wrote:A method I use is to freeze the meat in meal size portions and then add the vegetable and any fruit fresh at the time of serving. Freezing green leafy vegetables loses the thiamine on defrosting and tends to make the greens soft, slimy and generally unappetising.

I've done that before, because you're right-- the veggies never come out right when i defrost them :dead:

The problem is that when I don't freeze the veggies, they go bad and I waste 90% of them. Unfortunately, the veggies I like to eat are ones that aren't the best for a skink and he can't eat a whole package (or even close to it) before it starts to rot.

What I should do is go to a different supermarket, one that doesn't pre package the veggies and buy just enough for that week. I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier? :doh: I can avoid the waste and provide fresh veggies if I do that. Thanks for the suggestion El Lobo! :thumbs:
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:44 pm

Looks pretty good! I hope you dont mind, but this thread got me thinking about how balanced this diet maybe in regards to the calcium:phosphorus ratio. So Im going to reference this to my post in the Advanced Discussion thread and talk more indepth regarding "homemade" diets. Since you are the most recent to post what you are using, I am going to use yours for my example.
Brad
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:00 pm

ReptileKing wrote:Looks pretty good! I hope you dont mind, but this thread got me thinking about how balanced this diet maybe in regards to the calcium:phosphorus ratio. So Im going to reference this to my post in the Advanced Discussion thread and talk more indepth regarding "homemade" diets. Since you are the most recent to post what you are using, I am going to use yours for my example.

Thats fine by me :thumbs: I'm open to any suggestions that might keep my skink healthy. Keep in mind I use Calcium + D3 supplement though...
Bird_Brain
The Happy Hitman
The Happy Hitman

Postby Bird_Brain » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:12 pm

hot carl wrote:
ReptileKing wrote:Looks pretty good! I hope you dont mind, but this thread got me thinking about how balanced this diet maybe in regards to the calcium:phosphorus ratio. So Im going to reference this to my post in the Advanced Discussion thread and talk more indepth regarding "homemade" diets. Since you are the most recent to post what you are using, I am going to use yours for my example.

Thats fine by me :thumbs: I'm open to any suggestions that might keep my skink healthy. Keep in mind I use Calcium + D3 supplement though...

Absolutely. Basically what I am trying to figure out is how much Calcium powder would it take to get the correct/recommended C:P ratio.
Brad
Kurt
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Kurt » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:27 pm

[/quote] Absolutely. Basically what I am trying to figure out is how much Calcium powder would it take to get the correct/recommended C:P ratio.[/quote]

Awesome, that'd be good to know!
Karen
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict

Postby Karen » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:26 am

hot carl wrote:The problem is that when I don't freeze the veggies, they go bad and I waste 90% of them. Unfortunately, the veggies I like to eat are ones that aren't the best for a skink and he can't eat a whole package (or even close to it) before it starts to rot.

I have the same problem. I've considered growing up a little mini dandelion garden to get fresh greens from and seeing if that helps out.
• 0.1.0 Merauke - Sylvia
• 0.0.1 Northern - Tiberi

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”