Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
Saltydog
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:05 pm
Country: USA

Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Postby Saltydog » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:08 pm

Hey guys, I have a very docile Northern BTS who refuses to eat anything live (he has zero interest in anything that moves). I was wondering if it were possible to house a snake (I’m thinking ball python/milk snake/corn snake) with him as long as they have the same maintenance requirements? He is a friendly skink and only gets angry when I wake him up :lol: thoughts?
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Postby splashy07 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:42 am

Absolutely not!
User avatar
Y33T
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:17 am
Country: Australia
Location: Melbourne,Victoria

Re: Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Postby Y33T » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:51 am

I feel like I’ve read this somewhere else before lol. I’m guessing you’re trolling.
1.0.2 Tiliqua scincoides scincoides, Kirra, Bajo and Hestu <3
Saltydog
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:05 pm
Country: USA

Re: Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Postby Saltydog » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:45 pm

Y33T wrote:I feel like I’ve read this somewhere else before lol. I’m guessing you’re trolling.




I’m not trolling, I have been looking into mixed species vivaria and it is possible, but I wanted some other opinions on it.
User avatar
LeapingLizards
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:13 pm
Country: USA
Location: Tucson,AZ

Re: Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Postby LeapingLizards » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:48 pm

That's a terrible idea.
1 Northern BTS - Born 6/5/2021 - Audie - Confirmed Male
User avatar
IvanDanko
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:17 am
Country: Australia
Location: VIC

Re: Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Postby IvanDanko » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:56 pm

Same as above, even BTS cohabitation has several risks - letalone cohabbing with a snake?? I don't know who has suggested this but I would stay as far away from their advice as you can. It's possible to smoke a cigarette and put fuel in your car at the same time without blowing up, doesn't mean you should do it.
1.0.0 Lowland Blotched (Tiliqua Nigrolutea) - Peanut


"There's nothing that a green grenade can't fix"
User avatar
splashy07
ADMIN
ADMIN
Posts: 3191
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:24 am
Country: USA
Location: Farmingdale,LI,NY

Re: Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Postby splashy07 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:06 am

Skinks do not even like the company of other skinks so please get this awful idea out of your head.
User avatar
rixusaku
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 241
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:34 pm
Country: USA
Location: NorthCarolina

Re: Mixed Species Cohabitation?

Postby rixusaku » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:34 am

Just as the 4 others here have said, this is a really bad idea. I do know that some species of animals can be cohabbed with others, fish tanks being the obvious, but blue tongues should never be cohabbed with anything other than a CUC. It's just a really really bad idea with this species. Sorry
| Noodle | Male | 3 years | Northern |
| My Care Experience: Since January 2021 |

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 453 guests