Getting my first baby this week!!

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
B3N
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:29 pm
Country:
Location: Boston

Postby B3N » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:29 pm

Marie wrote:Congrats on your decision. I have multiple blueys and one beardie. I love my beardie to death, but I love my blueys even more. It's all just personal preference though. I checked over your list and made a few comments.

bigpapi34 wrote:40 gallon breeder - Petco
Heat lamp >10in – Home Depot
Incandescent bulb 100 watts – Home Depot
Ceramic heat emitter -

I don't think a ceramic heat emitter is necessary. Were you thinking about this for night? You can monitor the temps, but blueys can tolerate lower temps at night. Many of us don't use anything at night.


bigpapi34 wrote:Basking Rock –

I currently use a basking platform. The platform is made of ceramic tile (like the ones you can buy at home depot), and I have it raised on a very sturdy box. In the past, I have also taken large stones from outside and boiled them.

bigpapi34 wrote: Temp Gun - Radio Shack
Large Cigar Humidifier – Smoke Shop

I'm not sure you need the humidifier. Having a large water bowl can keep the humidity at the right level. You can also provide a humid hide for shedding ease. These can be made out of plastic boxes and moss or other moist substrate.

bigpapi34 wrote:Water bowl –

Not sure how old your bluey is going to be, but my large guys use pyrex pie plates. They are a little larger, and occasionally, my blueys like to drag their bellies through the water.

bigpapi34 wrote:hygrometer/thermometer combination unit – Radio Shack
UV Mercury Vapor bulb - http://www.reptileuv.com/
Aspen Shavings (shaved) –
Collard Greens/Spaghetti squash/Mango/Rasberries – supermarket
Crickets –

Check the caresheet for a good list of foods. I'd avoid crickets. They aren't that healthy, plus they stink and are a pain to keep stocked. You can buy healthier silkworms and tomato worms online. You can also use chicken and ground turkey for meat sources.

You might also want to invest in a timer for the lights. This will help you easily maintain a regular day/night cycle. Also make sure you have plenty of hiding spots.


Wow thanks for all the great information/advice!!!
User avatar
Drew
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1032
Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
Country:
Location: Philippines

Postby Drew » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:21 am

JWSR wrote:Drew,

Here's Ray's website. It's where I got Irwin, in my avitar, from.

http://community-2.webtv.net/rgurgui/ThunderBayHerp/


thanks bro.
** true blooded Filipino herper!!! **
User avatar
Zach
Grand Cicada
Grand Cicada
Posts: 7550
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Orygun
Contact:

Postby Zach » Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:51 pm

I talked to you via IM. ;)

+ 2.2 Irian Jaya (Slurpy, Nona, Sassy, Cool Moe Dee)
+ 1.1 Eastern (Eugene, Enzo)
+ 1.2 Northern (Niko, Pearl, Peach)
+ 1.0 Tanimbar Island (TQ)

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 373 guests