Zach wrote:Fatal_S wrote:I do believe that is what he means. It's a defense mechanism. The wiggling tail left behind is usually enough to distract the predator and save the skinker. I can't imagine seeing that, I'd have a heart attack.
Haha, you say that like I don't know anything about BTS autotomy! BTS can't "drop" their tails on command like many other lizards, but that's what it sounded like Andrew was saying.BTS tails can "pull" off or "break" off under great pressure or a bite and slightly cap off, but they don't grow back. You could not get a BTS tail to branch off three times, or even two times because the tail doesn't grow back at all, it just points off...and if you could do it, it would take extreme effort! Anyone who tried to do anything like that should be jailed.
Lizards who can drop their tails to diverge a predator -- their tails can regrow many times, and fully.
There was a video on youtube or google-video several years ago featuring a person demonstrating how to make-your-own many tailed lizards. It wasn't a bluey, so I'm not sure if this holds true for BTS, but the man was able to make the cut so that the second tail grew in at an angle and it began 1/4 way from the base of the original tail. The lizard was young enough so that the tail grew back nearly completely. It was a disturbing video and it basically ended up with the lizard looking something like this:
Edit: This picture is not actually of the lizard in the video. I can't find anything from that video, but I wanted a picture to show how it looked. This is just a picture I found on google.


BTS tails can "pull" off or "break" off under great pressure or a bite and slightly cap off, but they don't grow back. You could not get a BTS tail to branch off three times, or even two times because the tail doesn't grow back at all, it just points off...and if you could do it, it would take extreme effort! Anyone who tried to do anything like that should be jailed. 


f.C

