OFF-TOPIC THREAD 10

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Hijinks
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:04 pm
Country:
Location: Nutley, NJ
Contact:

Re: Question

Postby Hijinks » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:21 pm

aggiegirl wrote:There is a traveling exhibit called "Lizards and Snakes: Alive" that is coming to the Houston Museum of Natural Science. Has anyone seen it? I'm wondering if it is worth seeing.


I wonder if it's the same exhibit I saw at the American Museum of Natural History. http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/lizards/
There was a cute BTS! I think it's worth it. You'd get to see this guy:

Image
KyleWeiss
Minister of Propaganda
Minister of Propaganda
Posts: 5015
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:03 am
Country:

Postby KyleWeiss » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:23 am

Love the "Pearl of Wisdom," additions, by the way, Zach.

KW
Goodbye, BTS.net -- We've had to good times. I do hope someone else will come along and make it the lovely community it once was.
User avatar
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:35 pm
Country:
Location: Body and Heart-Colorado Soul-OZ

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:13 am

SailleSkinklover wrote:Ok, Shooting stuff is really boring. At least go hand to hand and see how you fare, that way at least the pumpkins have a chance! I'd personally rather see more pics of cute fuzzy tarantulas or Black Blueys! or even weirder things like this!
Image
Isn't it purdy?????It's got a pink butt! :D



I think this guy and all the recent spider pics were the fodder for a dream I had last night.

I spent the entire time trying to find my pet tarantula, who had a hot pink abdomen a cream colored body and pure black legs. I found one who had matalic blue skin and black hair but I never did find the pink and black one, there was also some people in there who were trying to convert me to their particular christian communal living sect. I had lost the spider in their commune.

It was a bit odd, but at least I had something to laugh at until I found Quigs.
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)




1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
User avatar
aggiegirl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Country:

thanks

Postby aggiegirl » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:05 am

Hijinks---Thanks for the link. That is definitely the exhibit. It starts mid-September in Houston. I'm sure I'll go. Who can turn down a bluey visit? What age group would enjoy it the most? My son is 9 and I plan on taking him. My daughters are 4 and 6. What do you think?
Luce---I've had insect dreams too! The Houston Museum of Natural History has many live inverts in its butterfly exibit. I am so fascinated by these guys. My kids had to drag me out of there. I'm thinking millipedes (since I could take those to school when I teach) but those spiders are actually very attractive. They actually sell versicolors at our exotic pet store. Hmmm. I could definitely hide one of those and I have to get live prey for my little cresty anyhow.... :oops: Renee, you will be the first to see the picture if I get one! I've got some googling to do. :oops:
Chuckwallas. They are a type of iguana but they are smaller and less work than green iguanas. (Some of them are the ones that squeeze between rocks and inflate!) They have been over-collected in the wild and I wouldn't want to contribute to that. They can occasionally be bought young as CBs for about the price of blueys. Like blueys, they can be quite social and even walked on a leash. I may PM skinkman/dixiediana if I get serious about this. I love my blueys so much that I will probably just stick with them. These are just another lizard that I might consider down the line---once I get empty nest!
User avatar
Hijinks
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:04 pm
Country:
Location: Nutley, NJ
Contact:

Re: thanks

Postby Hijinks » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:13 am

aggiegirl wrote:Hijinks---Thanks for the link. That is definitely the exhibit. It starts mid-September in Houston. I'm sure I'll go. Who can turn down a bluey visit? What age group would enjoy it the most? My son is 9 and I plan on taking him. My daughters are 4 and 6. What do you think?


Oh man, I don't know anything about kids and age groups and all that. I run and hide on "take your daughter to work day". But the exhibits are big and bright, and they all have colorful informational panels with big bold lettering. I'd bet kids that can read would enjoy following along with those.
User avatar
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Everett WA
Contact:

Postby SailleSkinklover » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:25 am

Weird, there must be something in the air about insects! I dreamed that I had a 3 foot long Praying Mantis that looked like the love child of a mantis and a stick insect. It was bright green and white, and then in another part of my dream, I had two geckos, and the female was digging to lay eggs and she turned into a lavender ghost crab or something. Weird!
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:53 am

Lucifer_Spades wrote:I think this guy and all the recent spider pics were the fodder for a dream I had last night.

I spent the entire time trying to find my pet tarantula, who had a hot pink abdomen a cream colored body and pure black legs. I found one who had matalic blue skin and black hair but I never did find the pink and black one, there was also some people in there who were trying to convert me to their particular christian communal living sect. I had lost the spider in their commune.

It was a bit odd, but at least I had something to laugh at until I found Quigs.


I had a dream once where I had a 3 foot long Brazilian Black Tarantula that came running when I called it and would jump on me and give me hugs. That was such a cool dream :cloud9:
User avatar
Reptscue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:56 pm
Country:
Location: SW FL

Postby Reptscue » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:54 am

DT your Versi is beautiful... My older baby is just starting to get pink on her bootie.....

Image
If you don't live for something you'll die for nothing!
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:56 am

SailleSkinklover wrote:Your spiders are gorgeous! So when you go to get them out of their enclosures, how do you do it? Do you shoo them onto your hand, or do they just recognize you and crawl onto you?
I still love your little Inigo, he looked like he was smiling for the camera on that keyboard. Lovely! :D


Most of my T's don't care one way or the other. Unless I'm clumsy about getting the lid off their tank, they generally don't move away or towards me. Some of them come right out while others try to hide. Some of them I refuse to try to hold...either they are agressive or they are too fast/dangerous for me to trust. Still others I only hold if I have to. I have a few really friendly, but really big spiders and I'm always afraid that I'll accidentally drop them and kill them. My versi in the pic has mellowed out quite a bit with age and is quite content to be held.
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:56 am

Reptscue wrote:DT your Versi is beautiful... My older baby is just starting to get pink on her bootie.....

Image


:lovestruck:
User avatar
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Everett WA
Contact:

Postby SailleSkinklover » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:35 am

Wow, that blue is stunning! How is that possible!!!??? :bugeyes:
What is it about blue creatures, or creatures with parts that are blue! :D
So do you guys talk on an arachnid forum about your tarantulas?
User avatar
Arkangel
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 239
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:51 am
Country:
Location: Jersey Devil Pinelands

Postby Arkangel » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:35 pm

Chuckwallas are native to our deserts in the southwest. They are becoming extremely rare along with horned toads due to overcollection.

Here are two shots off my camcorder from the Sonoran desert in Arizona.
Sorry for the low quality. :oops:
Image

Image
Kristine
Bluebird Acres Farm
Barnyard Banter and Rocket Science blog

Artemis on MySpace


When all the trees have been cut down, when all the animals have been hunted, when all the waters are polluted, when all the air is unsafe to breathe, only then will you discover you cannot eat money.
Cree Prophecy.
User avatar
Reptscue
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 65
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:56 pm
Country:
Location: SW FL

Postby Reptscue » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:26 pm

SailleSkinklover wrote:Wow, that blue is stunning! How is that possible!!!??? :bugeyes:
What is it about blue creatures, or creatures with parts that are blue! :D
So do you guys talk on an arachnid forum about your tarantulas?


I don't know what sites DT is on. I am on a few, but don't post on them all.
DT??
Oh and I got another new one.... :oops:
Thai Tiger aka H. albostriata. Cujo in disguise.
Image
If you don't live for something you'll die for nothing!
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:09 pm

:nervous: I love Haplopelma spiders, but they certainly are a handful!

I post in arachnoboards sometimes, but mostly I just lurk in the background there. There are so many people on that forum that a quick search usually gives me all the answers I need.
User avatar
Damiano
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:13 pm
Country:
Location: Norway-Italy

Postby Damiano » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:05 pm

Reptscue wrote:DT your Versi is beautiful... My older baby is just starting to get pink on her bootie.....

Image


hi! it's a. versicolor???
..:: Excuse for my bad english ::..
...skinks....skinks...skinks...
User avatar
Damiano
Bluey Beginner
Bluey Beginner
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:13 pm
Country:
Location: Norway-Italy

Postby Damiano » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:07 pm

I would want to pass the vacations in Australia… you have some idea?
..:: Excuse for my bad english ::..

...skinks....skinks...skinks...
User avatar
Fatal_S
Take Flight
Take Flight
Posts: 8391
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
Country: Canada
Location: Manitoba
Contact:

Postby Fatal_S » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm

DT, that versi is exactly what I'm looking for! Wanna send it to me? *puppy eyes* I think it was a pic of that one that gave me the idea to look. Purple is my favorite color, and a purple T would be a god-send. No luck at any of the stores here yet, but I have found a bird-eating spider that looks neat. Right now I'm all lonely with only my tiny house spider for company. Do versi's make webs? How big is yours now? And most importantly, do they all turn purple, or do I need to find a purple baby? Purdy spiders. I think a blue one would be awesome too, but probably for my friend. Oh great...this sounds like another addiction coming on. I'm gonna go lie down now...
User avatar
Dragontears
Thousand Teardrops
Thousand Teardrops
Posts: 1505
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
Country:
Location: Oregon
Contact:

Postby Dragontears » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:57 pm

Gem is a mature female now so I'm looking for a boyfriend for her. If successful, I'll have plenty of little babies running around I dont' think I can ship to Canada, but if you want to make a road trip, I'm sure you could smuggle one over the border. :deal:

Avicularia versicolors all start out bright blue:
Image

as they grow they lose the intense blue and turn metallic greenish with hints of burgandy:
Image

Then they hit an insane growth spurt and it seems like they are molting into new colors each month until they get their adult colors...this was Gem after her molt prior to this last one:
Image

They all pretty much look the same as adults.

They build insane webs. I don't have a good picture of their webs since it is hard to photograph, but here is one of Gem's more boring webs...this was shortly after re-housing her and she built this in a couple nights. It was later expanded and more fun looking.
Image

If you want a purple spider, have you seen my little Jewel? This photo was taken a couple nights ago:
Image

For more Jewel pictures, go to her gallery here:
http://nay.rabscuttle.com/gallery/view_ ... e=purpurea
User avatar
Funda
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 am
Country:
Location: Australia: Victoria/Melbourne
Contact:

Postby Funda » Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:06 am

*darn all these colours..
I absolutely hate spiders, but these are beautiful!

:blueyprint: f.C
*1 Dog, mitsy
*1 Cockatiel, Baylee
*2 Kittens, Lucky and Cuddles
*2 Eastern BTS, Saphia and Eragon.
*f.C Photography
*I love Cengiz, my love muffin!
User avatar
Lucifer_Spades
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 1407
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:35 pm
Country:
Location: Body and Heart-Colorado Soul-OZ

Postby Lucifer_Spades » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:04 am

Ahh the spiders are forming communes and are going to take over the world (or at least Texas)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070831/sc_ ... 4M6mTmWMcF

and the video

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/player/ ... 2&src=news
~*Luce*~

The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)

0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)




1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 187 guests