~Aminah
OFF-TOPIC THREAD 10
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
- AneesasMuse
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 266
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm
- Country:
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Contact:
Thanks! I'll do that. I am fairly geographically challenged myself, so Milwaukie doesn't ring a bell with me either. My children live in Medford and I can kind of find my way to major cities like Eugene or Portland
~Aminah
~Aminah
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
- Piglet
- Soggydog
- Bluey Beginner

- Posts: 25
- Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:38 pm
- Country:
- Drew
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1032
- Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
- Country:
- Location: Philippines
-
NomadOfTheHills
- The Scout

- Posts: 1342
- Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:07 pm
- Country:
- Leigh
- Leigh of the Law

- Posts: 6695
- Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:23 am
- Country:
- Location: Bristol, England
- LittleFoot
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1297
- Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: NE Pennsy
This is our 4 week old sulcatta...we got her when she was 4 days old, just starting to handle her very briefly every couple of days. I am so glad we got her since her entire cluth died between 1 week and 10 days
My daughter named her Tinkerbell....again teaching me not to let a 6 year old name a pet, especially one that will be 100 pounds


Pippi
- russman
- Bluey Enthusiast

- Posts: 557
- Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:43 pm
- Country:
- Location: Russell, PA USA
- aggiegirl
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 807
- Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm
- Country:
love the torts!
I was soooo tempted to get a Herman's tortoise at a recent herp show. Of course, I have to research everything to oblivion before I make a commitment (ask poor Zach!) I love my blueys. They are in perfect harmony with my life. They make me want to delve deeper into the reptile experience. Also, my geriatric Newf died last summer and I miss her sorely.
My son's allergist says no more fur or feathers. What can I get that is relatively easy to care for (no rodent feeders), cheap to keep, and entertaining/intelligent like my blueys? Anyone know about Rankin's Dragons? Any easy tortoises? Any other lizards that I've overlooked? Please fire away with suggestions. I've googled til my fingers hurt and now I want some advice from experienced reptile lovers! Thanks!
- AneesasMuse
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 266
- Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm
- Country:
- Location: SF Bay Area
- Contact:
I love my Beardie, Hugo... he's small due to a bad start before I rescued him, so similar to a Rankin's; and I think Joob, my Red Foot tortoise is just amazing! She's not difficult at all and quite friendly with us, now that she's settled and healthy again. (She's also a rescued baby) Red Foots don't get as large as some of the other torts, either. Ray breeds them, too 
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
- Piglet
- LittleFoot
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1297
- Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: NE Pennsy
Sulcattas are not the tortoise for everybody....they get incredibly large (3rd largest species in the world) and they are amazing diggers. However they do have wonderful personalities and great dispositions. I am up to four and that will be my limit...three females and we don't know yet if Tinkerbell is a boy or girl yet.
Pippi
- Dragontears
- Thousand Teardrops

- Posts: 1505
- Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
- Country:
- Location: Oregon
- Contact:
MartinsPerson wrote:Jenn wrote:MartinsPerson wrote:Bianca is the IJ that I just got from Morgana (she used to be called Penelope). I'm hoping to breed her to Nona for '08 babies. I will charge my camera and get photos asap.I'll be waiting for the thread!!!
She's a pretty lady. I might have to call on Renee and see if she'll take some of the pictures. Her camera is WAY better than mine. Such a pretty skinkie deserves great photos.
just give me a call!
- Dragontears
- Thousand Teardrops

- Posts: 1505
- Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
- Country:
- Location: Oregon
- Contact:
Reptscue wrote:Hey DT... a friend of mine called me the other night to come and pick up 2 of these guys....
Seems to be 1.1.
I can't wait for my two versicolors to become adults. And your A. purpurea is to die for... I don't hae one of those yet. My goal is to have every type of Avic you can. They are my favorite.
avics and pokies are turning into my favorites. Avics are a lot less scary than pokies though. My other versi molted into a mature female on Friday! Now I really need to find a boy!
- Dragontears
- Thousand Teardrops

- Posts: 1505
- Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:06 am
- Country:
- Location: Oregon
- Contact:
NomadOfTheHills wrote:Looking good Drew!
Dragontears, I have found that my a. versicolor slings way to fast to handle on a regular basis lol.
Also, I have been very successful keeping them in larger than normal enclosures. I use the cups you would get a betta from petsmart in, with many holes.
I've read that ventilation is key with this species, and with the larger container, it seems like there is much more air, so it doesn't get "stale" very quickly at all.
versi slings are fast and definitely unpredictable, but mine have mellowed out a LOT as they have grown. I've had Gem for about 4 years now and she is quite friendly now.
I also keep mine in larger containers than necessary. Maybe that's the secret. I've still had a bit of mold here and there over the years, but maybe with the larger containers the T can get away from it.
- Lucifer_Spades
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 1407
- Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:35 pm
- Country:
- Location: Body and Heart-Colorado Soul-OZ
We ended up pulling a rescue today.
We were grilling out at the local park and there were a bunch of very excited kids down by the shore of the lake ther, we went over to see what was up and the kids were harrassinga newly hatched snapping turtle.
We weren't able to release him there as the kids wouldn't leave the poor thing alone so we have a temporary member of the family until we can turn him over to a friend who is a rehabilitator and foster care for unwanteds.
So yeah, we have a baby snapping turtle until further notice.
We were grilling out at the local park and there were a bunch of very excited kids down by the shore of the lake ther, we went over to see what was up and the kids were harrassinga newly hatched snapping turtle.
We weren't able to release him there as the kids wouldn't leave the poor thing alone so we have a temporary member of the family until we can turn him over to a friend who is a rehabilitator and foster care for unwanteds.
So yeah, we have a baby snapping turtle until further notice.
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)
0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)
1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)
0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)
1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
-
Phantom
- Bluey Follower

- Posts: 312
- Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:39 pm
- Country:
- Location: Near Chicago
Lucifer_Spades wrote:We ended up pulling a rescue today.
We were grilling out at the local park and there were a bunch of very excited kids down by the shore of the lake ther, we went over to see what was up and the kids were harrassinga newly hatched snapping turtle.
We weren't able to release him there as the kids wouldn't leave the poor thing alone so we have a temporary member of the family until we can turn him over to a friend who is a rehabilitator and foster care for unwanteds.
So yeah, we have a baby snapping turtle until further notice.
I hate kids
0.0.1 Irian Jaya- Rodney
0.0.1 Columbian Boa- Spanky
1.0.0 Dumeril Boa- Rocco
0.0.1 Columbian Boa- Spanky
1.0.0 Dumeril Boa- Rocco
- Lucifer_Spades
- Bluey Addict

- Posts: 1407
- Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:35 pm
- Country:
- Location: Body and Heart-Colorado Soul-OZ
Phantom wrote:Lucifer_Spades wrote:We ended up pulling a rescue today.
We were grilling out at the local park and there were a bunch of very excited kids down by the shore of the lake ther, we went over to see what was up and the kids were harrassinga newly hatched snapping turtle.
We weren't able to release him there as the kids wouldn't leave the poor thing alone so we have a temporary member of the family until we can turn him over to a friend who is a rehabilitator and foster care for unwanteds.
So yeah, we have a baby snapping turtle until further notice.
I hate kids
Don't hate the kids, hate the parents that were sitting 6 feet away and were allowing it.
My kids would never treat an animal like that because i have taught them to respect living things.
~*Luce*~
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)
0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)
1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
The original Ginger-Ninja! Ka-pow!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0.0.3 Irian Jaya
Mizu, Izuru, and Battosai (On a Canadian Cruise)
0.0.1 Tanimbar Island
Toulouse (On a Canadian Cruise)
1.1.0 Cats-Simon, Lexi
1.0.0 Husband-Ricky
2.2.0 Kids-Kira, Tiernan, Chayton, and Esmé(aka "The Heathen Hoard" or " The HHH Club")
- Drew
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1032
- Joined: Mon May 21, 2007 6:03 pm
- Country:
- Location: Philippines
- Fatal_S
- Take Flight

- Posts: 8391
- Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm
- Your Facebook name: Mel's Exotics
- Country: Canada
- Location: Manitoba
- Contact:
I hate parents who don't teach their children to respect animals! I spent all pilot training with a roommate who believed all animals were better dead than alive! Needless to say it required a lot of tact and restraint on my part. Oh, or a few years ago when I was rescuing baby seagulls I decided to show the neighborhood kids. The kids were allowed to watch what I was doing, and how I was handling the young birds, but they weren't allowed to touch them. One of the local parents freaked and called my parents to tell them I was doing horrible things and playing with trash and getting the kids sick. I almost had to give up the birds after that. There should defiately be requirements to have kids, and a respect for animals should be included.
Oh, FYI, I wasn't dealing with baby birds or injured birds who would require a rehabilitator, so don't worry. I live by a mall where seagulls used to nest. The young birds learning to fly would glide down into the parking lot, but couldn't get up and away. To stop them from being hit by cars, I'd take them for a few days to an outdoor pen until they were able to fly without being thrown into the air (my test). I did this for 3 years, but for the past 2 the mall has eliminated the nests before they could hatch. I hate humans!
That rant felt good.
Oh, FYI, I wasn't dealing with baby birds or injured birds who would require a rehabilitator, so don't worry. I live by a mall where seagulls used to nest. The young birds learning to fly would glide down into the parking lot, but couldn't get up and away. To stop them from being hit by cars, I'd take them for a few days to an outdoor pen until they were able to fly without being thrown into the air (my test). I did this for 3 years, but for the past 2 the mall has eliminated the nests before they could hatch. I hate humans!
That rant felt good.
Mel's Exotics
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
Breeder of Blue Tongue Skinks & More
http://www.MelsExotics.ca
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpVkgO ... wr6Ds0CP_A
- SailleSkinklover
- Bluey Fanatic

- Posts: 2160
- Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
- Country:
- Location: Everett WA
- Contact:
I wonder if its just the kids? My mother was not at all an animal lover, and so she never "taught" me to respect other living things (I am adopted though!). It's just something I was always interested in, and that I learned by living in and watching the world around me. Frankly, I always got on better with critters than with most humans!!
But yes, I have to agree that there are definitely human parents out there who should be completely removed from the gene pool! (there are just too many of us humans, and I think because of that, so many people have lost respect for life in general, as well as other living beings!) Chlorine anybody!!??
(When in doubt, cuddle a Bluey! Ahhh, there. All better!)

But yes, I have to agree that there are definitely human parents out there who should be completely removed from the gene pool! (there are just too many of us humans, and I think because of that, so many people have lost respect for life in general, as well as other living beings!) Chlorine anybody!!??
(When in doubt, cuddle a Bluey! Ahhh, there. All better!)

- LittleFoot
- Bluey Devotee

- Posts: 1297
- Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
- Country:
- Location: NE Pennsy
My mom is not an animal person, but she let me indulge my hobbies and have as many pets as I wanted as long as I took care of them. Plus the fact that my grandfather ran small wild animal rescue in our basement helped...we had blue jays, robins, squirrels, and once a pair of baby racoons whose mom was killed by a car...they were the cutest, but the biggest trouble makers.
I was in a Lowe's garden center a couple of weeks ago and a small sparrow had flown into the glass door, stunning itself. A 12 year old kid who should have known better started kicking it into a wall
while the mother looked on saying "oh sweetie don't do that"
Before I could step in the employee asked the kid if he wanted him to kick him against the wall for a while. They then took the bird to the vet. I asked later if the bird survived and they said yes and it was released. 
I was in a Lowe's garden center a couple of weeks ago and a small sparrow had flown into the glass door, stunning itself. A 12 year old kid who should have known better started kicking it into a wall
Pippi
Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 198 guests


I'll be waiting for the thread!!! 