It was all a big misunderstanding

Everything Blue Tongues! Have a question? Just got a BTS and want to introduce yourself? This is the place!
Forum rules
In this forum all are welcome to ask blue tongue skink-related questions, share information, ideas, tips, experiences, and pictures with fellow BTS enthusiasts.
If you are wondering if your BTS is acting normally or might be sick, this is where you can get help with that.
This is also where you can have some FUN while sharing the enjoyment you get from your blueys!
User avatar
Hijinks
Bluey Enthusiast
Bluey Enthusiast
Posts: 633
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:04 pm
Country:
Location: Nutley, NJ
Contact:

It was all a big misunderstanding

Postby Hijinks » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:19 am

I saw a different vet yesterday for Ping's re-check, a very experienced vet. He took Ping to another room to draw the blood, and a few minutes later he burst through the door excitedly saying "I couldn't get the sample, and I know what happened with the last one!"

He said it's very tough to get enough blood for a useful sample from such a small lizard. And as we all know, they tend to "let loose" when frightened. He said his first poke didn't yield enough blood, and Ping urinated while he was taking it. When he withdrew the needle, a few droplets of blood oozed out. He said he's pretty certain what happened was: whoever took the blood last time experienced the same thing (it's confirmed he did urinate last time too), but then used the needle to suck up the blood off the surface of his skin in order to get enough. So essentially the first blood sample was a tiny amount, tainted with urine and possibly feces. Totally worthless and inaccurate! I'm so happy this vet had the experience to recognize the forensics here, and the CONFIDENCE to tell me he wasn't able to get the blood. I am sure whoever took his blood the first time felt immense pressure to get enough for testing.

And so it looks like Ping doesn't have an infection. He doesn't have renal failure either. What he has is a paranoid owner, and some unfortunate luck.

The antibiotics he got (4 injections in all) have affected his digestion, and the increased veggies I was giving him probably didn't help. I'm seeing undigested greens in his poop, but I'm giving him Benebac. Even though he was probably very stressed, and getting injections, and being carted around to vets, and pooping out whole greens, he managed to grow an inch and put on 45 grams of weight in these two weeks!!

At what age do you all stop giving the higher protein "baby" diet and begin giving the veggie-heavy "adult" diet?

There is still no real explanation for the tremor I saw, but I haven't seen another, and the vet says he's physically fit. He told me to quit obsessing. I'll keep watching him closely, and giving him calcium. A great suggestion I got was to provide a dish with pure calcium powder (NOT calcium with d3 or other additional ingredients).

His eye doesn't look bad at all right now, and he's going to shed in the next few days, so hopefully we have reached the end of that ordeal too.

I feel like we starred in one of those crazy Munchausen by proxy episodes of Law & Order. Come on. Does this lizard look sick? :D

Image
Image
User avatar
SailleSkinklover
Bluey Fanatic
Bluey Fanatic
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:38 pm
Country:
Location: Everett WA
Contact:

Postby SailleSkinklover » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:44 am

Nope, he doesn't look sick at all, he just looks like a messy eater! :wink:

I am so glad you got a decent experienced vet and that there will be no more antibiotic injections! ( see, they can do more damage than good because they're over-prescribed/used improperly! And not just for animals!!!!)They can completely wipe out your healthy gut flora, and I don't know if you can even give a lizard yogurt, (its a dairy product, and they're not mammals, so how could they even break it down?) or even if Blueys have the same or similar gut flora to humans!

I'm glad your little Goomba-headed-Ping's OK. He's a cutelet! I hope you are able to keep this vet on as they sound like they know what they're doing. :D
User avatar
aggiegirl
Bluey Addict
Bluey Addict
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:19 pm
Country:

so glad

Postby aggiegirl » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:55 am

I'm so glad that the bloodwork was a "false alarm!" When in doubt, look at the skink! That sure looks like a healthy (hungry!) skink! I know you are resting better now! I think us newbies just worry a bit more than we should. Enjoy your skinky!
User avatar
AneesasMuse
Bluey Follower
Bluey Follower
Posts: 266
Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 1:22 pm
Country:
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Postby AneesasMuse » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:06 pm

Wow! this is great news!! I'm so glad you found a good, qualified Vet and Ping is on the mend. He looks fabulous.. all messy and food in his face t'boot! :D Congratulations!

~Aminah
"Lots of people talk to animals. Not that many listen though. That's the problem."
- Piglet
User avatar
Funda
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1551
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 am
Country:
Location: Australia: Victoria/Melbourne
Contact:

Postby Funda » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:18 pm

Thats great news mate!

And no he dsnt look like his sick, like come on.. look at him skull that food down! :lol:

:blueyprint: f.C
*1 Dog, mitsy
*1 Cockatiel, Baylee
*2 Kittens, Lucky and Cuddles
*2 Eastern BTS, Saphia and Eragon.
*f.C Photography
*I love Cengiz, my love muffin!
User avatar
LittleFoot
Bluey Devotee
Bluey Devotee
Posts: 1297
Joined: Tue May 22, 2007 5:45 pm
Country:
Location: NE Pennsy

Postby LittleFoot » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:57 pm

He doesn't look sick, just looks like he needs a bib. Glad everything is turning out ok.
Pippi

Return to “General Discussion and FAQ”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 243 guests